One Step at a Time


I’ve been wanting to write a blog post for a while and give an update on everything going on. Clearly I need to mark it in my calendar, because in the midst of work, family, and school I just haven’t found the time to sit down and write a full post. However, I am here now & excited to finally give an update!

We are now one procedure away from completing all the testing our RE ordered on September 16th. Tomorrow I will be going in for my HSG, otherwise known as a hysterosalpingogram. My doctor will be injecting dye through my cervix and then she will use an x-ray to look at my uterus and fallopian tubes. I’ve heard mixed reviews on the procedure as far as what to expect, but we are hoping and praying for the best. I’m not terribly worried about it, but thankfully my husband has the day off as well, so we will come home and lounge afterwards. Needless to say, we are both anxious to get this last bit of testing done with so we can hear all the results.

Now, let me rewind to 9/16- our first consult with our RE. I was so excited the night before that I barely slept. The anticipation for that appointment had been building for months. I was ready. For the past year I have been going to my regular OBGYN’s for exams and blood work, but this office was so different. The minute I walked in I was just amazed. I had become accustomed to walking down a hall that had a sign reading “Expectant Mothers This Way” and pointed to my doctor’s waiting area. I thought for sure that sign would apply to me in a few months, but it never did, and after a while it started to sting every time I would pass it. The RE’s waiting area, however, looked more like a spa. They had beautiful chairs and jewel tone walls. I wasn’t bombarded by pictures of babies and magazines about staying healthy during pregnancy. It was peaceful and inviting, definitely not as “clinical” as all of the other doctors offices I have been in and for that I am very thankful.

They called us back shortly after we sat down. Instead of going into an exam room though, we were taken to her office. I thought for sure they would ask me to weigh in and take all my vitals, but the only thing the nurse did was take my blood pressure when we sat down and she even apologized for needing to take it. I could tell she was being sensitive to the fact that we were there in the first place, more than I can say for the other nurses I’ve come across in the past two years. A few minutes later our doctor came in (Dr. M). She’s one of the sweetest ladies I’ve met, like the kind of person you would want to go out to a movie with, or just call and talk about your day. She even sort of offered me a job (jokingly…I think). Whatever the case, we both fell in love with her and her ability to be both sensitive and completely honest with us. We went over our history, the 10+ pages I filled out previously, what tests she wanted to run, and briefly what treatment plan she thinks would be the best fit for us. Then a little bit later we went in to an equally welcoming room (surprisingly, it was the exam room) where she performed an ultrasound and explained the other tests we would be doing in the coming weeks. After the ultrasound I went down the hall to get blood work done and we were handed all the information needed to make the follow up appointments.

As I’m writing this, it sounds like everything went really quick, but I can honestly say we never once felt rushed. We left the appointment feeling really good and we truly believe we are right where God wants us to be. I was prescribed Provera for 10 days following the appointment to jump-start a new cycle so we could complete the other testing Dr. M ordered. On September 30th I called in to report cd1 and schedule the SA (semen analysis), HSG, and follow-up consult. After a whole day of phone-tag, the SA was completed last week, my HSG is scheduled for tomorrow, and after many changes due to my husband’s new job our follow-up consult is set for 10/25.

I have definitely experienced some lows and highs in the past month. I have questioned if we are doing the right thing, if we can afford all of the tests, if we are “rushing” the process… But all in all, I have experienced great peace. A peace that is greater than any I have felt. I know it is nothing short of God’s love and work in my life, my faith. When I got the call that some of my blood work came back abnormal a couple weeks ago, worry started to settle in. Within minutes I started crying out and praying to the Lord. I prayed the whole way to the lab and as I was walking in, I felt calm. When I called last week to make our follow up appointment and they told me it would be at least another three weeks to get in and discuss our results, worry started to settle in again. I am happy to say that it left just as soon as it showed up! I am confident that no matter the results of all our tests- we will be okay. We will be more than okay! God already knows the results, He already knows how and when our family will expand. It’s not my job to know it all, but to trust in Him, and I’m so very thankful to have such a loving Father!

So here we are, taking it one step at a time!


3 thoughts on “One Step at a Time

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s